Transition to Secondary School
To ensure that ESH Primary students and parents are supported throughout their transition to secondary school, we have developed a thorough transition programme.
Transition timeline and activities
Parent Information Evening
P5 parents from ESH Primary joined us on Thursday 16 January for a presentation about the transition to ESH Secondary. Slides from the evening can be downloaded and reviewed here.
In principle, students continue in the same language section they are in at ESH Primary. From school year 2020-2021, ESH Secondary will have a German language section.
- Language Sections
- English, French, Dutch (and German from 2020-2021)
- Language 1 (L1): For mother tongues
- English, French, Dutch, German, Spanish, Italian, Slovenian, Finnish, Greek, Hungarian, Lithuanian, Polish, Croatian, Romanian
- Language 2 (L2): Mandatory
- English, French, German
- Language 3 (L3): Mandatory, and Language 4 (L4): Optional from S4
- English, French, Dutch, German, Spanish, Italian (L4) and Latin (optional from S2)
In general, your L1 will be your language section. Students whose L1 differs from our language sections, usually join the English section. For students entering S1 in 2020-2021, please note the following:
- If a student is in the German section in ESH Primary, they continue as such in Secondary.
- If they are in another section, and have German as their L1, it is not possible to continue this in Secondary.
- Students can remain in their current language section, but should change from L1 German to L2 German.
- Or, in exceptional circumstances, it may be possible to switch into the German section.
To accommodate our growing school, we are currently completing a large building renovation project, delivering updated classrooms and facilities for our Secondary school community. The first phase is scheduled to be complete in time for the 2020-2021 school year.