A message from Ms Leko
Sretan Dan državnosti Republike Hrvatske!
25. lipnja 1991. Hrvatski sabor je usvojio Deklaraciju o proglašenju suverene i samostalne Republike Hrvatske. Drago mi je podijeliti ove informacije s cijelom školom te proslaviti Dan državnosti Republike Hrvatske!
Croatia is a Central European and Mediterranean country, bordering Slovenia to the west, Hungary to the north, Serbia to the east and Bosnia and Herzegovina to the south; the country also has a long maritime border with Italy in the Adriatic Sea. It is a small yet highly geographically diverse crescent-shaped country. Its capital is Zagreb, located in the north. Croatia has an unusual shape (similar to a horseshoe!). The main population centres are Zagreb( the capital), Osijek, Rijeka, Split, Dubrovnik, Makarska, Porec, Rovinj, Opatija, Zadar and Šibenik. Croatia has an amazing 5,835km of coastline. The largest island is Krk (near Rijeka) and the country’s other well known islands include Hvar, Brac, Korcula and Pag. Croatia is well known for Plitvice lakes, national park.
The Statehood Day is the National Day of Croatia. Statehood Day (Croatian: Dan državnosti, pronounced [dan dr̩ʒaʋnosti]) is a holiday that occurs every year on 25 June in Croatia to celebrate the constitution of the first modern multi-party Croatian Parliament. Croatia's declaration of independence was proclaimed during the civil war in Former Yugoslavia. On 25 June 1991 Croatia proclaimed its independence from Yugoslavia. Typical state activities on the occasion involve speeches by the President of Croatia and other dignitaries, as well as commemoration of the Croatian War of Independence. Croatia took its place as the 28th member state of the EU on 1 July 2013.
- Famous for the dog breed called Dalmatians – Dalmacija/Dalmatia
- Dubrovnik is famous for centuries: English poet Lord Byron was the first that described Dubrovnik as the “pearl of the Adriatic.”
- Your favourite show is from Croatia: Games of Thrones Kings Landing is in fact Croatian town Dubrovnik.
- Croatia has many islands: 1246 islands!
- Tesla loved Croatia: Nicola Tesla was born in Croatia
- Football: Croatians are great footballers
[Image: CC BY 2.0 dronepicr]